A fitness ball, also known as Pilates ball, stability ball, Swiss ball, and gym ball is made of elastic rubber which usually has a diameter of 14 to 34 inches.
Instead of exercising directly on a flat surface, exercising with a fitness ball provides instability that create tension to certain muscle parts. These muscles gain strength as they try to maintain balance.
With frequent training, these muscles may become stronger and gain mass overtime. In addition, fitness balls works effectively while causing minimal strain or injuries.
Many fitness experts reveal that fitness ball exercises, if executed wrongly may cause injury. Nonetheless, training on a fitness ball is one way of working out many hard-to-reach muscles. Adding a fitness ball in a fitness program may help surpass some difficult levels involved during exercise. Studies show that by simply sitting on the ball, stabilizer muscles are activated, these muscles are essential in improving one’s posture.
Benefits of using an exercise ball include:
- Develop overall control and strength of the core body muscles
- Increase lower back mobility
- Increase abdominal and back muscle strength
- Improve balance and stability
- Get a deeper stretch and a better muscle workout
- Use other muscles to balance during training and get a better workout
- Take pressure off certain joints because the ball is soft and round